What is Sports Medicine?
Sports medicine is an area of health and special services that apply medical and scientific knowledge to prevent, recognize, manage, and rehabilitate injuries related to sport, exercise, or recreational activity.
A Sports Doctor is a General Practitioner who has worked extensively or solely with athletes, and sports-related conditions and illnesses, thereby making them more experienced and knowledgable in the diagnosis and treatment of sports-related conditions.
A sports doctor can help you with:
- Obtaining further specialised investigations, such as;
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- CT (Cat Scan)
- CT- or Ultrasound-guided cortisone injection
- Autologous blood injection
- Referral to surgeons, as necessary
- In-house cortisone injections, as appropriate
- Synvisc Injections